Following are the Fire fighting equipments which are mainly used :
1. Fire Retardant Bulkhead: Different Class of bulkhead such Class-A, Class-B and Class-C are used
for construction of bulkhead in areas like accommodation, machinery space, pump room etc. The main
applications of such bulkhead are to contain or restrict the spread of fire in sensitive areas.
2. Fire doors: Fire doors are fitted in fire retardant bulkhead to provide access from the same.
They are self closing type doors with no hold back arrangement.
3. Fire Dampers: Dampers are provided in the ventilation system in order to block out excessive oxygen supply to
the fire. For this, it is necessary that open and shut position clearly marked for fire dampers.
4. Fire Pumps: As per regulation, a must have main fire pump and an emergency power pump of approved type
and capacity. The location of the emergency fire pump must be outside the space where main fire pump is located.
5. Fire Main Piping and Valves: The Fire Main piping which is connected to the main and emergency fire pump
must be of approve type and capacity. Isolation and relief valves must be provided in the line to avoid
over pressure of the same.
6. Fire Hose and Nozzles: Fire hoses with length of at least 10 meters are used . Number and diameter of the
hoses are determined by the classification society. Nozzle of diameters 12 m, 16 m and 19 m used are of dual
purpose types- Jet and spray mode.
7. Fire Hydrants: Fire hoses are connected to fire hydrants from which the water supply is controlled.
They are made up of heat retardant material to get least affected from the sub zero temperatures and also to
ensure that hoses can be easily coupled with them.
8. Portable Fire Extinguishers: Portable fire extinguishers of CO2, Foam and Dry Chemical Powder are provided
in accommodation, deck and machinery spaces carried along with number of spares as given by the regulation.
9. Fixed Fire extinguishing system: CO2, Foam and water are used in this type of system, which is installed
at different locations and is remotely controlled from outside the space to be protected.
10. Inert Gas System: The inert gas system is provided to protect from any fire hazards.
11. Fire Detectors and Alarms: Fire detection and alarm systems are installed along with alarm system to notify
any outbreak of fire or smoke at the earliest.